15 October 2010

Blog Action Day 2010: Water

While I'm living in Japan, it's tough to think about water I think. We can easily reach safe water. Mostly we can get safe and drinkable water when we turn on a faucet. But some of Japanese don't do that. Some of them buys bottled water (mostly imported one), some of them are using water cleaner.

On the other hand, many people in the world cannot to reach safe water.

I've got an email from Blog Action Day on 8th October. And I could know 5 water facts that we should know. I want to write about that but I changed a little bit because I'm not American (some numbers were written for Americans).

1: Unsafe drinking water and lack of sanitation kills more people every year than all forms of violence, including war.
 I just surprised when I heard this, and I could know how important water is.

2: More people have access to a mobile phone than to a toilet.
 There are more than 2.5 billion people lack access to toilets!! There are more than 4 billion mobile phone users in the world and 110.4 million Japanese are using mobile phone. Also it's growing so rapidly.

3: Every day, women and children in Africa walk a combined total of 109 million hours to get water.
What will they do if they can save such a long time in every day?

4: It takes 24 litters of water to produce just one hamburger.
  Well, we should not eat them...

5: The average Japanese uses 320 litters of water every day - more than twice the average person in the world.
 Also, the average Japanese imports 1,460 litters of water every day from the world if we think about "virtual water". (this is because Japan's food self-sufficiency is really low)

What do you think about these facts? I decided to share these facts via my blog on Blog Action Day 2010. Then what will you do?

Tweet This

No comments: