21 September 2010

Silver week

In Japan, this week is "Silver week(シルバーウィーク)". It's new series of holidays in end of September. It's new because the "Silver week" has began since last year. In this week, we have 2 national holidays. One of them is "Respect for the aged day(敬老の日)" and another one is "Autumn equinox day(秋分の日)".

Why we call "Silver week", because this week include "Respect for the aged day" and it's like "Golden week".

Well, I should write about "Silver".  I couldn't find out any article about "aged person" when I searched "silver" on Oxford English dictionary. We sometimes use the word "silver" as "aged person", for instance, "silver seat" is the seat for aged person. But I think it's totally Japanese-English word.

I heard some reasons why we use the word "silver" as "aged person", I'll write about one of the reason now. The "silver" came from the hair color of aged person.

Thank you.
Tweet This

No comments: