30 September 2010

Tax hike on cigarettes


From 1st October, tax on cigarettes will be increased. Now they are selling a pack of cigarettes at about 300 JPY (about 3.6 USD), but after the tax hike, it will be raised to about 440 JPY (about 5.3 USD). I heard this is the highest tax hike on cigarettes ever.

Because of tax hike on cigarettes, 58% of smokers decided to quit smoking according to the survey. On the other hand, many people are buying more cigarettes to stock at cheaper prices. My friend found the person who bought 10 cartons of cigarettes at cigar shop. So, he spent 30,000 JPY (about 360 USD) for cigarettes!!

Well, I'm not smoker, so this tax hike will not effect to my usual life. Some of my friends are smoker then some of them decided to quit it, but mostly they will not quit it...

I'm not anti-smoking activist, then I'm not going to force to quit it but I think they should quit it for their health.

Thank you.
Tweet This

No comments: