20 May 2010

no flags...

I surprised when I found the article that about there's no Japanese flag in front of Japan's pavilion in Shanghai World Expo 2010. I forgot when the exhibition started but I think, it's May 1st. At that time, there were no Japanese flags in front of Japan's pavilion, even Japanese government paid half of its cost.

Why?

I found the reason. According to the newspaper, they did not raise Japanese flag because they wanted to care for China's anti-Japan sentiment. But I felt there is a discrepancy.

If they really wanted to care for China's anti-Japan sentiment, they should not to open Japan's pavilion in Shanghai World Expo 2010. But they decided to open it. So, I don't think it was good choice that they did not raise Japanese flags in front of Japan's pavilion.

I think, many Japanese will agree with me. Also I found some tweets that some politicians, economists, and ordinary people. Mostly they think, it's not good choice.

Anyway, I don't know why, but they started to raise Japanese flags in front of Japan's pavilion from yesterday. I believe that they will not stop raising Japanese flags in front of Japan's pavilion until the end of Shanghai World Expo 2010 except bad weather. How do you think?

Thank you.
Good day & Peace and Smile!
Tweet This

2 comments:

Christen said...

Many Chinese, especially of older generations have anti-Japanese sentiments because of the war crimes of WWII. It's like in America, where African-Americans still feel conflicted toward white people because of slavery. It's the same with Jewish people who still have anti-German feelings because of the Holocaust of WWII. So it's a very sensitive subject, especially for people of older generations.

I really don't see what the problem is. A flag is a representation/symbol of a country. If Japan is apart of the Expo then I don't see why they shouldn't raise their flag.

I think it would be interesting on who made the decision on not raising the flag. Did the Chinese ask the Japanese not to raise it? Or did the Japanese, not wanting to raise controversy, decide not to raise their own flag.

Masaya said...

I don't know exactly who decided not to raise flag, but someone in Japanese government decided it, I think. And I heard Chinese government did not ask Japanese government not to raise it.